I volunteered to bake for a cake sale at work this week, with money being raised to support Deadly Sista Girlz. I didn't have a heap of time and wanted to make something that would sell well, so I went for these amazing red velvet cupcakes!
Any cakes leftover from the sale were brought into the office today, and when I went down I was proud to see that there were no red velvet cupcakes left - I choose to believe this means they all sold!
How were they? I don't know! :( I saved two, one for me and one for Kai, but we haven't tried them yet. I'm waiting semi-patiently as I write this blog for him to come home from cricket so we can eat them. Hurry up Kai!
RECIPE - makes 24
2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1 cup buttermilk
200g unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly whisked
1 tbs white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
red food colouring to suit
2 x 250g pkts cream cheese, at room temperature
2 cups pure icing sugar
120g butter, extra, softened
1 tsp vanilla essence, extra
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line twenty four muffin pans with paper cases.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder and bicarb soda into a bowl. Stir through the sugar.
3. Whisk the buttermilk, butter, eggs, vinegar and vanilla in a large jug until combined. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture. Add the buttermilk mixture. Stir until just combined. Stir in the food colouring.
4. Divide the mixture among the lined pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when pressed in the centre. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Use an electric beater to beat the cream cheese, icing sugar, extra butter and extra vanilla until smooth. Spread or pipe over cupcakes.