170g liquorice, chopped into small bits
2 egg yolks
75g castor sugar, sifted
1 ½ cups milk
Black food colouring to suit
1. Whip cream and put in the fridge until needed.
2. Add a few cups of ice to a large bowl, set a smaller bowl in the large bowl, set a fine strainer on top and set aside.
3.. Put milk and liquorice in a saucepan and heat on med-low temp stirring until it starts to melt. The liquorice won't melt fully and some chunks will remain.
4. Using beater attachment on a mixer, beat yolks and sugar together until thick and creamy.
5. Slowly add liquorice mixture and beat until combined.
6. Pour back into saucepan and cook over a gentle heat until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
7. Add just enough water to the large bowl of ice so that the cold water rises up to level with the mixture. Be really careful here you don't drop any water into the mixture!
8. Stir occassionally until cool, then remove from ice bath and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for several hours.
9. Add whipped cream and liquorice mixture to electric mixer and mix at highest speed with whisk attachment.
10. Pour into a freezer-suitable container and freeze overnight.